Vile little wavetable drum
MUSKRAT is a flexible, 8-bit wavetable drum synth. There are 23 onboard wavetables to choose from, either manually or via bipolar cv input. Pitch and phase distortion also include bipolar cv inputs and accept -5v to +5v. The “Trigger” input is designed without input conditioning and picks up signals of all varieties. In other words it’s an envelope follower circuit. You can plug an external CV or offset into this input and it will operate like a regular VCA. For even more extreme sound mangling, engage the MUSKRAT mode via the switch to feed a random number into the phase accumulator at the internal clock rate. This mode also includes a gate input that acts as an “accent”.
The Muskrat was inspired by one of our other circuits, the MSG: a small desktop breakout of the oscillator core from the Muskrat. The MSG was designed as a prototyping platform to play with code on the Attiny85 while we were going through hardware revisions on the Muskrat. The MSG was born out of a fascination with trying to push a relatively simple piece of technology to it’s maximum sonic potential. Naturally over the course of playing with the MSG we experimented with a few different synthesis techniques. The Muskrat firmware is what we believe to be the coolest culmination of the different experiments. To bring the circuit into eurorack, it seemed natural to add bipolar CV control over the different parameters. To fully utilize the intricacies of the different parameters it made sense to make the pots attenuators rather than offsets to allow for dialed in modulation over small ranges. As with all Møffenzeef modules we had to turn it into something that could be utilized for drum synthesis hence the trigger and decay circuit.
Basically, pick a kraptastique wave, change the pitch, mangle the hell out of it, feed the rodent, BANG! it; you’ve caught yourself a Muskrat. WARNING: if you feed the rodent, “my…god…what…have…we..
- DIG – Manual or CV control over 23 selectable wavetables (organized from least harmonic content to most; the wavetables all the way to left are least harsh and the wavetables all the way to the right are the most harsh).
- BANG! – “Trigger” input, Envelope Follower and VCA. TIP: For great sounding snappy drums shorten your incoming trigger signal to super skinny.
- RANGE SWITCH – 3 position switch (short, med, long) for controlling the maximum decay time of “tail.”
- TAIL – Manual control over decay time of envelope follower circuit
- SCRATCH – Manual or CV control over Phase distortion + phase modulation
- CHEW – Manual or CV control over pitch
- MUSKRAT SWITCH – Feeds a random number into the phase accumulator at the internal clock rate.
- MUSKRAT INPUT – Gate input for Muskrat feature. Input is OR’d together with switch.
- All CV inputs are bipolar and accept voltages from -5v to +5v
- The Muskrat is the eurorack adaption of *LINK*MSG. Chips are compatible and inter-changeable between the two products.